Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Celebrating My Accountable President Returning Once Again to Prague

One year ago today, my President was in Prague, giving a speech calling for the elimination of all nuclear weapons.  That speech contributed greatly to his Nobel Peace Prize.

Exactly one year and three days after that speech, he will return to Prague to sign a treaty with the Russians lessening the number of nuclear weapons in their respective arsenals. It probably helps that both of them need to find ways to save money.

In addition to the treaty, President Obama has eliminated the vagueness from America's policy of exactly when it would use nuclear weapons and when it wouldn't through a process called the Nuclear Posture Review.  He has taken a more measured, deliberate and probably honest approach to exactly what circumstances would merit a nuclear response.  To those who decry eliminating the vagueness and instead that we should keep our enemies guessing, I would ask them to look where bluffing got Saddam Hussein.

If that were not enough progress toward the goals outlined in his speech, this month my President is hosting the largest gathering of world leaders since the founding of the United Nations 65 years ago to discuss how to keep nuclear weapons out of the hands of rogue states and terrorists.

I don't see how lowering the number of nuclear weapons in the world could be a bad thing.  I have no opinion on whether lowering the temperature on nuclear response is good or bad.  I am not an expert although I am a big fan of clarity.

What I celebrate today, is the sheer joy of having a President who feels accountable and reports progress.  He did it by returning to Iowa City, Iowa where he had first called for health care reform on the campaign trail to report that he had done it.  One year later, he returns to Prague to report the steps he has taken to make the world safer from nuclear weapons. I like many others who heard the speech, have closely followed what has or hasn't happened on the issue.  My President feels and acts accountable to the people and reports back to the initial audience who heard his goals.

To have a President of the United States that I both respect and love is just a completely joyous, wonderful thing.  And I agree with his politics.  It's a political trifecta! I and many other Americans, are the beneficiary. Godspeed, Mr. President. Congratulations on your achievements. Thank you for "ignoring the voices who said the world could not change."

4 comments:

Sheila said...

I agree Karen!!!! LOVE OUR PRESIDENT TOO!!!

Mark Peters said...

Nicely written.

Getting Russia to agree to a reduction in nuclear weapons, clarifying our nuclear engagement options and getting so many nations together to discuss ways of handling remaining nuclear issues - I think all of that is good and impressive.

I would add that while not everybody agrees with his financial policies, it's hard to argue with the fact that we were near systemic failure with an S&P 500 at 849 when he took over and now the fear of systemic failure is gone and we're at 1194; We were approaching the 100 year anniversary of discussion without action on healthcare reform, but now he's gotten that moved forward; And he's made a positive step-change in the perception of America abroad.

The easiest thing in the world to do is sit back and pick at somebody who is leading and making a difference. I may not agree with everything he thinks and does, but I'm with you in agreeing that he's delivering and making a positive difference for America and the world.

Karen said...

Thanks for your comments Sheila and Mark. Keep coming back!

Unknown said...

Dear Karen,

What fun to see your thoughts. I agree that it is nice to see the accountability, and the willingness to take risks to deliver on campaign promises. I have to admit I am quite frightened by how polarized the United States seems to be right now, at least as seen from a distance.

Best regards, Robin

 
Travel Sites Catalog All Traveling Sites Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas International Affairs Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory expat Czech Republic website counter blog abroadWho links to me? Greenty blog